Taking a look at what's going down and coming up for residents in the Lake Forest and Foothill Ranch area.
• Residents in the area whose trash needs are serviced by Waste Management are reminded that because of the Labor Day holiday, service is delayed by one day throughout the rest of the week.
• Lake Forest City Council meets today and one of the items on the agenda is picking a successor to Tim Hughes on the Planning Commission from among 15 applicants. Hughes was critical of the two commissioners appointed earlier this year, saying the new guys were unprepared, among other thing. Will the council listen to the recommendation of one of the founding commissioners? The Council has come under fire for rubber-stamping a couple of controversial residential development projects in the heart of a commercial zone. Well, it will become a commercial zone after they OK the second reading of the rezoning earlier in the meeting. That's at City Hall on Tuesday, 7 p.m.
• If you're one of those people who are unhappy with the development project, the "Save Lake Forest" movement is meeting at City Hall at 5:30 p.m., and plans to stay for the vote on the second reading of the Trumark development. The movement is attempting to gather 4,000 signatures by Sept. 19 to send the council's decision to an election ballot.
• The first Orange County top 10 football poll is released, and three of the five teams in the South Coast League are represented. Also see how Patch.com's Martin Henderson voted.
• Saddleback Valley Toastmasters meet on Tuesdays at Carrows in Laguna Hills. Learn the art of public speaking and all the advantages it entails.