Your dose of local knowledge for the day:
- Lake Forest's Mike St. Clair, coordinator with California Emergency Management Agency, helped with the recent successful , a Redondo Beach man lost in deep snow for two freezing nights on Riverside County's San Jacinto Peak. "We train in the Sierras, and we go anywhere in California," St. Clair Banning-Beaumont Patch editor . "The state team St. Clair leads in Southern California was called in for their skills: backcountry ski mountaineering and avalanche assessment," McCarthy wrote in an e-mail to me.
- Wednesday is "Elaina Day" at Lake Forest Elementary, in honor of school office manager Elaina Falcone's retirement. Anyone with memories, stories or photos or thoughts about Falcone should e-mail them to firstname.lastname@example.org, according to the school's PTO newsletter.
- Foothill Ranch's aluminum products maker Kaiser Aluminum Corp. reported a blockbuster fourth quarter, with earnings beating Wall Street expectations, the Orange County Business Journal reports.
- A press release from Illinois-based Eternally Yours, which makes greeting cards to be left at grave sites, says it has received the endorsement of Rick Warren's chief of staff, David Chrzan.
- Speaking of Saddleback, here's a list with easy ways to help the church help those in need.