About 700 residents near Trabuco Road lost power temporarily after underground electrical equipment caught fire Friday afternoon.
Power went out for Southern California Edison customers in the area at 4:50 p.m., according to an SCE spokesman.
Firefighters responded to reports of smoke emenating from a manhole near the Trabuco and Via del Rio intersection and called in an SCE crew.
Emergency vehicles blocked off a portion of northbound Trabuco as SCE employees investigated the malfunctioning equipment.
At 5:58 p.m., power was rerouted from what was believed to be a failed cable and restored to area residents.
Crews remained on scene to repair the equipment, said SCE spokesman Scott Andresen.